Establishment of IKAC in an area of 1500ha under article 166 of Fifth National Program of Development and by virtue of large-scale national policy of becoming cargo hub and second passenger hub in the Middle East with special focus on hosting businesses, production and industrial activities and proper environment for investments has been put on the top agenda of Ministry of Roads and Urban Planning as a grand national project.
Necessities for enactment of article166:
- Necessity to support the population of 25 million living surrounding the airport city and neighboring provinces based upon free zone model
- To foster the objective to become a logistic and passenger hub in the Middle East
- Creation of economic and transportation potentials needed to set up a free zone at entrance gate of Iran and in the vicinity of an international airport.
- Desire of great many transportation companies to take advantage of a free zone, investment in airport city free zone and establishment of dry port.
- High potential for investment of great local and international companies because of its closeness to capital city and access to IKAC surrounding areas.
- Expansion of the aviation-related businesses across the world and necessity to redefine these businesses based upon airport city free zone model.
- Concentration of supply chain
- Possibility to define businesses based upon free zone model such as banking, insurance and new industries.
Propellant phase of the IKAC, over an area of 240h a, known as eastern business park is located at the southeast side of the IKAC. It’s appropriate topology, easy access to infrastructures and proper access to IKAC offices made the planners choose this phase for development of free zone.
In order to attract businesses, the free zone has been divided into four categories:
Administrative- trade (40 ha)
Administrative-trade tower, international financial center including bank, money exchange and insurance, conference center and hotel, data center, carpet and jewelry center
Innovative cultural-artistic (7.4ha)
Drama and visual arts, film, museum, gallery, library, handicraft, animation, computer graphic, tourism, advertising and marketing, media, publication.
high tech (28.2 ha)
Biotechnology, advanced matters and polymer products, electrical and electronic hardware, ICT, advanced machineries, advanced pharmacies, medical equipment, advanced products and other areas of activities and commercialization services.
logistic and production (87 ha)
Warehouse, distribution, packing, assemblage, production of light-weight industries with high VAT using technology for exportation.